But the rumours always told a different story, and 36 years later, a Paris nightclub manager tells his side of the story. In a new book, Sam Bernett tells Jim died from an overdose of heroin in the bathroom of it's club.
Bernett, that was in it's twenties at the time, has become a prominent radio broadcaster and a rock biographer.
Patrick Chauvel, a notable photographer and writter, says he has helped carry Jim Morrison's body in a bar. He said that at the time Morrison was already dead.
According to Bernett, Jim Morrison spend a lot of time in Rock and Roll Circus Club, a place where stars like Roman Polansky and Marianne Faithfull were often seen.
Bernett says he asked a Doctor, a club client, to examine the singer.
The Doctor said that when Jim was found he was already dead and had blood and foam on his nose. He recognized it as an heroin overdose.
Bernett says the two drug dealers insisted that Morrison was only unconscious. Bernett wanted to call an ambulance but the owner of the club said that that would generate a lot of scandal, an ambulance was never requested.
According to Bernett, the owners of the club brought Jim Morrison's body to his home and put him on the bathtub, in a last chance to bring him alive.
Morrison's girlfriend Pamela Courson, told a different story. She said that the couple went out to have dinner and then to the movies. According to her testimony in Police records, Morrison woke up in the middle of the night and went to take a shower, Courson said that later she found Jim on the bathtub.
Paris Prosecutors office said that it was very unlikely that Jim's death would be investigated, or that anyone could be prosecuted, beacuse the time on legal proceedings had run out.
Jim Morrison died at the age of 27, in Paris. An autopsy was never performed.